In 2004, the Country Club of Culpeper
celebrated its 50th Anniversary. During a special ceremony, honoring
and attended by several of the original members, Anna Marie Stringfellow -
one of the founding members - shared some of her stories of the past
How it all started...
At a social gathering in early 1954, a group of town residents
commented that Culpeper needed a Country Club for folks to entertain visiting
guests as most homes could not accommodate
of friends and relatives.
On February 21, 1954, a meeting was held at the Lord Culpeper Hotel
at which time E. Jackson Eggborn agreed to serve as a temporary chairman.
later, he set up a meeting of prospective stockholders and Judge
Burnett Miller was asked to prepare a Constitution and By-Laws. Subsequently,
a Board of Directors was formed and on March 10, 1954, the Tolson
family deeded a 58 acre tract of land to the Culpeper Country Club, Inc.;
the birth of the Country Club of Culpeper.
About the Clubhouse
Built sometime in the late 1920's, the Country Club of Culpeper
Clubhouse was recently renovated in January 2004. For over 50 years, the
Clubhouse has accommodated
many business events and family celebrations. It houses a Restaurant/Grille,
Ballroom with seating for up to 100 with an adjoining covered outdoor deck.
It also boasts an inviting Living Room with a fireplace and seating
for a cozy chat or shared drink, a Card Room for Bridge and Poker players,
and a well-appointed Fitness Center. The large Front Porch and
spacious lawn overlook the challenging 18-hole golf course and Simpson’s
July 11, 2004 - Celebrating the 50th Anniversary
The day was shared by members of all ages who enjoyed food and
drinks at 1954 prices, old time Rock and Roll music, a clown,
magician and Moon Bounce for the kids, antique Car Show, golf,
tennis and pool activities for all ages.
A special Founder’s Day Luncheon was held to honor many of the
Founding Members and their families and guests. This was followed
by a ceremony where the honorees were presented with a Certificate
of Appreciation, and a Brass-Plated Membership Card, amidst several
speeches, by T.I. Martin, first Men’s Club Champion, Anna Marie
Stringfellow, first Women’s Club Champion and Fred Gordon, long-standing
Tennis Champion, highlighting and sharing memories of the Club’s past
50 years. A framed copy of the
Original Menu was presented to the Club.
There was also a charge to the current members,
by Win Carithers, current President of the Board of Directors,
to continue the growth and development of the Club for our new
generation of members and their families.